Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Day 1: Wednesday

I'll be honest. It still doesn't feel real. It's like a Saturday or something.

I got out of bed earlier than I wanted to, but I couldn't sleep anymore. I eventually made myself go to the library to get books on writing resumes and cover letters. Of course, I had to get a new library card (note to self: update driver's license address), so I had to return home for proof of address. I did find a couple of books on careers, resumes, and cover letters. I also checked out Freakonomics, by Steven D. Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner, because I've always wanted to read it. If I have time off, I may as well get some books checked off of my list.

Just as I got to the library, Dad called. He was sleeping last night when I called Mom with the news (Dad works nights), so this was his first chance to talk to me. I love my mom and appreciate her concern and care on the phone last night, but my conversation with Dad was more what I needed. I don't like to focus on the emotions. Dad calmed me just by working through the details of severance and unemployment and vacation pay to figure out exactly how the near future is going to work. I need to think these things through.

I stopped at Target on my way home. I'm hoping to bike to as many Twins games as possible, and as such, I need a bike lock. I also got some food I need, but it's weird having to consider all the little things.

I got home in time to watch the Twins game (I really need to decide about cable. I mean, on one hand, I should save money; on the other hand, I have time to watch baseball games).

I started to read some of the books--or at least looked through them. I'm starting with one of the career books. It's important to consider what direction I want to go in before writing my resume, or searching for a job. I also read some of The Last Song, by Nicholas Sparks, which was one of my Target impulse books from the days of yore. I also read my Bible.

This evening there was church, and upon my return, I continued my stenciling in my bedroom (I started it probably a month ago, and got back to it again last night). I now have two walls done, which is exciting. I'm not sure it's quite the effect I'm looking for, but I'm waiting until I'm done to make my final judgment. There were some funny and interesting moments. For one, I was stencilnig above my bed. To do high on the walls, I was precariously perched on the edge of my waterbed, holding a container of paint in one hand. Nothing spilled! Later, both of my cats came by. Boof actually walked right up to the head of the bed where I was stenciling, and laid down by me. As I moved closer to start painting, he moved, fortunately! I don't think paint would be an ideal situation. I really wished I had my camera there for that moment, though!

Tomorrow will bring me to a Twins game (having season tickets already paid for means I can go without guilt. Even better, some of my tickets for next week sold, so I'll have money in my season ticket account for next year!).

Next week, I need to focus on cleaning, because I'll be having ministers for lunch on Thursday. Normally, I'd take them out to eat--my house doesn't have a dining room, so I don't have a dining room table (sadly, that purchase is being delayed). I'm not yet sure what I'm going to do, but at least the place should be cleaned!

No comments:

Post a Comment