Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Day 7: Tuesday

Today was a learning experience. I started out by mowing the lawn. I have a cordless electric mower, which I charged once last summer--when I first got it (a house-warming present from my parents). Needless to say, I got backyard mowed and most of the front yard before the battery died. (I'll have to finish in the morning; the battery should be charged.) I'm guessing that my battery will only need to be charged a few times each summer, but I need to learn to pay attention to how low the battery is getting, so I don't end up with a 3/4 mowed front yard!

But the real learning was trying to clean out the back garden. There are some tress growing against the house, and they needed to go. Trees have roots as big--or bigger--than their tops. The problem is that I want to save the irises in that garden--as far as I can tell. I may have killed one, but I can see that I have to thin them out anyway. I'm hoping I can "just" move them to fill out the garden. But it's a lot of work to get rid of these trees with their deep roots. I've cut some of the roots, but it's a lot of work. I probably only have half of that little garden cleaned after three hours of work, at least.

I went to Home Depot, but the raised garden I wanted, they were sold out of. I'm debating looking at another Home Depot tomorrow or just having a ground-level garden. I did buy fencing and posts, because either way, I will need to keep rabbits out of my garden. I also bought a couple of green pepper plants and a cherry tomato plant. I really did resist the urge of buying strawberry plants. I think I'll see how the garden goes this year and consider options for next year. I do need to get some raspberry bushes from Darcy--she has a bunch in her backyard, and said I could have a few (she's not interested in gardening). (At Home Depot, I also saw a clothesline for sale. I may have to go get it. There is something awesome about line-dried clothes, and their fresh smell!

During the Twins game this evening, I ironed all of my fabric that I washed this weekend, which is quite the accomplishment, as far as I'm concerned.

Tomorrow I really need to finish mowing the lawn, perhaps spend a little time in the back garden, maybe consider checking out another Home Depot or Lowes for the raised garden kit I want and definitely get my house cleaned. I'm having company for lunch on Thursday, and I want it cleaned for that. I still haven't decided how I'll handle a meal--we may go out to eat. I really need a kitchen.

Right now, I should be heading to bed, but I have a cat sleeping on my feet, so I'll read for a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment